Thursday, April 9, 2009

Taking care of yourself-Part III

Is there some fairly small thing that is keeping you from being as healthy as you could be? For example, in the hypertension/high blood pressure category-are you still salting all your foods because you don't like the taste of the food otherwise? Or eating lots of frozen dinners, chips, canned meals, or soups with high sodium/salt content? Or drinking coffee, tea, or other beverages with two or more teaspoons of sugar? Or eating items with high sugar content ie donuts, candies, cookies, pastries, pies when you have a challenge with high blood sugar levels? Or eating three or more eggs, bacon, sausages, etc when your cholesterol levels are high? I could go on but I think you get the picture. :)

The point of this is not to make you feel bad but to challenge you to be more aware of your diet. Sometimes it is the little things that can make the most difference. So why not start today and keep a food diary. A written account of what you're eating everyday for one week. You can take it and share it with your doctor and receive recommendations. You can also decide on your own to tackle one food challenge area that you need to change and work on it.

Here's my example-I trained myself to drink hot tea without any type of sugar or sweetener. Therefore when I drink three or more cups I don't have to worry about the sugar content.

So change something in your daily food content for your health. Let me know how it goes.

Let's be as well as we can be.

No comments: